Namur

When I was writing before about the political struggles in this country , I also had to admit that I hardly know Wallonia either. Not counting the youth camps I did as a child in the Ardennes and the professional projects I had to do near Liege and Mons, I hardly ever come in Wallonia. Leuven is only 10-15 kms from the language border!

This morning at the breakfast table Jan all of a sudden proposed to go to visit something in Southern Belgium and since the alternative was to clean-up our office space in the basement and to arrange the last boxes that I got from my parent's home yesterday, the choice was not difficult.

After 45 min drive through a lovely rolling landscape we arrived at the political capital of Wallonia: Namen (Dutch name) or Namur (French name). (yes that's the joy of Belgium: we translate the city names to confuse all the tourists. ). It is a pitoresque small city, located at the confluence of the Sambre River and the Meuse River with a big citadel towering on the rock above the city.





The fortifications at the citadel


The city down below


The confluence seen from the citadel


Comments

Blog said…
Oh! Beautiful!!! MUCH better than cleaning out office space!!! I wish we had that kind of beauty where I live.... :) Happy holidays, Goof! Hope you enjoyed Christmas!
Gudrun said…
De citadel is dus wel de moeite waard om te bezoeken, zou je zeggen? Ik ben er al vaak gepasseerd maar nog nooit gestopt...
Betsy said…
Leuke foto's, hoor!

Just wanted to pop by and wish you a happy new year! Hope 2008 is full of happy moments! :-)
Jen said…
It looks just lovely! I'm so glad Jan proposed this rather than cleaning.
Wholly Burble said…
Oh how I'd love to come for a visit--the pictures are great--and I agree, they beat cleaning up hands down!
Jenn said…
I would always rather travel then clean...

Jenn
blah said…
E,
Happy Christmas to you & the family!
PS you dont do your photos justice by posting them so small! They are fantastic!
Goofball said…
@Drun: ja hoor, zeker als je van mooie verre zichten houdt, grote oppervlakten en versterkingen allerhande.

@Everyone: yes it's much better than cleaning...nevertheless the boxes didn't empty themselves, neither did the paperpiles sort themselves. ...So it was just delay and now you know what I've been up to the last 2 days.

@ATBAB: you are flattering me. My pictures are clickable though, so you can see them bigger if you want. Blogger just sucks when uploading big pictures so I like reducing them in size first.

Popular Posts