Last Wednesday

Thank you all for the sweet comments on my last post. I really needed them in some way.
As was to be expected last Wednesday was a long and exhausting day. My dad went into neurosurgery to get "Deep brain stimulation" to treat his symptoms of Parkinson's disease.

The meticulous procedure took 8,5 hours and takes place without any anesthetics. My dad had to stay awake and participate in small motoric excercises when some test electrodes got inserted, attached to the stimulator and their effect measured. In the end one final electrode got inserted in each brain side. My mother and sister were alternating in the surgery room to assist my dad. Needless to say my dad was completely exhausted when his bed got wheeled back in the room.

The doctors gave him now a few days to rest, but in the coming weeks they'll have to work and test the most optimal stimuli. So it really is too early to know the end result yet, but my dad is already on a very low dose of medication. So we took the first hurdle and we cross our fingers for the coming weeks. Another surgery is scheduled to implant the electrode's wires and the neurostimulator in the abdomen. .....

Comments

Jen said…
I hope his recovery goes smoothly and that the results are all that he, and all of you, hope for. You're all in my thoughts and prayers.
Korie said…
I'm glad to hear that the surgery went well. I've heard good things about electrostimulation for Parkinson's. Good luck to you and your family.
anno said…
It sounds like it was an intense but promising day. When can you hope to start seeing improvements?
Allie said…
We have been thinking of you and your dad. How is everyone doing? Glad to hear that all is well so far! I am sure that you are all tense, drained and fearful of the unknown. Try to keep your spirits and faith up. We are sending lots of love and prayers your way!!

Popular Posts