Fish and pumpkin

What do you do when a good friend comes over and she doesn't eat meat?
And you have a huge pumpkin laying around (and already a freezer full of pumpkin soup)? Then you need creative pumkin/fish recipes.

...
Anyone? You google. Simple isn't it.
And then you land here. Sounds good and not too difficult right? Well it is very good and not too difficult and to us it was a new combination of ingredients.

FISH FILLETS WITH LEMON/GINGER SAUCE

  • 2.2 lbs (=1kg) fish fillets or slices, Kingfish or Red fish
  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 1/4 c. sliced onion
  • 1 tbsp. ginger powder
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 tbsp. chopped pimentos (eum if you don't like spicy, take less....I unseeded our peppers but it still gave quite a spicy touch to the sauce. We liked it , but don't tell me I did not warn you)
  • 2 tbsp. flour
  • 1 c. evaporated milk (hahaha that made us laugh so much... do we have to gather milk condense? :p...ok wikipedia told us what we needed but we took normal milk nevertheless).
  • 1/4 c. pumpkin puree
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1/2 c. cracker crumbs (we took chapelure)


1. Wash and dry fillets/slices. Place in greased baking dish.
2. Melt butter. Saute onions, ginger, garlic and pimentos over low heat for two minutes. Mix flour with milk. Add to sauteed vegetables and stir.
3. Add pumpkin puree. Stir mixture until thick and creamy. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
4. Pour sauce over fish fillets and sprinkle top with cracker crumbs.
5. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 25 minutes (190° C). We finished by putting the dish a couple of minutes under the grill. Serve hot, garnish with lemon slices and sweet pepper rings.

We served on pumkin mashed potatoes.

The recipe claims that it serves eight, but then it'll be an entree though. I think it serves 5-6 max. For us making the pumkin mashed potatoes took most time.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Mmmmmmm... geen foto genomen?
Betsy said…
I just finished eating a big bowl of this Butternut squash risotto. It's delicious and super easy-- maybe it's an idea for the next time you have too much pumpkin / hokkaido squash?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Butternut-Squash-Risotto-2/Detail.aspx?prop31=1
Jen said…
This looks very, very ambitious!
anno said…
This looks delicious! No follow-up photos?
Goofball said…
@Lies: nope ik denk niet echt aan mijn foto-apparaat wanneer een maaltijd eindelijk klaar is :)

@Betsy: oh thanks for the tip. By the way I also already made your pumpkin gnocchi's but I didn't season them nearly enough. I can use any pumkin recipe right now as I still have about 3-4 kg of pumkin to handle and I really don't want to make soup anymore!

@Jen: ambitious? really? why? Besides making the sauce to pour on the fish before it goes on the oven, my nieces or nephews could do this. And even the sauce isn't too hard.
As I said, the pumkin mashed potatoes was the hardest, most work but also harder to find the correct balance.

@Anno: nope I was too hungry by the time it was done and we attacked right away. I don't have a habit of taking pictures of my meals so I forget and now it's all gone :)

Popular Posts